CLASS OF HORSES; THE NAMING AND REGISTERING OF HORSES; DISQUALIFICATION OF HORSES.
CLASS OF HORSES :
68. (a) Horses shall be classed according to the country in which they were foaled. If there is any doubt about the class, the Stewards of the Club shall determine the same.
(b) Age of English horses (comprising of horses from Northern Hemisphere) Indian and Pakistani horses shall be taken from the first of January, the Australasian class (comprising of horses from Africa, South America and Australia) from the first of August in the year in which they were foaled.
THE NAMING AND REGISTERING OF HORSES :
69. No horse shall be entered for a race under these rules unless it has been registered with a recognised Turf Authority.
(a) Horses' names will be registered in accordance with the rules for naming of horses as published from time to time in the Racing Calendar or the Sheet Calendar.
(b) A Registered name can be secured for a horse by application to the Secretary of the Club accompanied by a fee as prescribed by the Club. Application for registration of Thoroughbred horses imported into India would be as per the Rules and requirements as prescribed by the Stud Book Authority of India from time to time and on submission of documents as required.
(c) The application shall state all particulars required by the Stewards of the Club, including the name (if any) under which the horse has been registered or raced before in any country or if it has not been registered or raced before, the name proposed to be registered and its pedigree with distinguishing marks as will identify it. The Application must be accompanied with the prescribed fees.
70. The name (if any) under which the horse has been Raced or registered in any other country and in other cases the name proposed if not already registered for another horse and if approved by the Stewards of the Club will be registered and become the registered name of the horse. If the Stewards of the club do not approve of the proposed name the horse shall not be registered until a name of which they approve is proposed. Should the horse have run at a recognised meeting in any country, the registered name shall be the same name as one already registered abroad with a suffix added to it showing the country of foaling. The suffix between brackets will be taken from the international code of suffixes and will constitute a part of the animal's registered name.
(a) A registered name may be changed with the permission or by the direction of the Stewards of the Club not otherwise. For every such change an application with full particulars shall be submitted and the change when admitted by the Stewards of the Club shall be published in the Racing Calendar. A fee of Rs.5,000 shall be paid for every change of name not made in pursuance of the direction of the Stewards of the Club. A change of name of a horse will not be permitted more than once during its racing career.
(b) If a change is directed by the Stewards of the Club, the horse shall not be qualified to be entered or run until the proper application for a change of name of which they approve shall have been submitted. Provided, however, that any such change to be required at the instance of the Stewards of the Club themselves will not be subject to the aforesaid provision contained in Rule No.70(a) about restricting the change in the name of a horse more than once during its racing career.
71. If any person enters a horse for any race in any other than his registered name, he may be punished by fine in addition to any other penalty which may be imposed under these Rules.
72. The Stewards of the Club shall decide at their discretion all disputes connected with or arising out of the naming of horses. Should two or more horses have the same registered name, they may direct the owner of the horse which was in their opinion last named to change the name and until the name is changed the horse shall not be allowed to run in any race run under the authority of the Club
(NOTE: Whenever the name under which a horse has run at any recognised meeting in any country is changed, his old name as well as the new name must be given in every entry until he has run under the new name and the change has been published in the Racing or the Sheet Calendar).
DISQUALIFICATION OF HORSES :
73. A horse is not qualified to be entered or run for any race to which these rules apply:-
(i) If the horse has run at an unsanctioned Meeting, and there is at such Meeting any race with a prize for the winner or any other horse, the published value of which exceeds Rs.9,999/-.
(ii) If the horse runs any race at any unsanctioned Meeting and gains whether as winner or otherwise, any prize the value of which exceeds Rs.9,999/- although the published value of the prize may have been less than that sum.
(iii) If and so long as it is in the ownership or part ownership, or in any way under the care or superintendence of a disqualified person;
(iv) If and so long as it is in the stable of or under the care and management of a disqualified person; and after the disqualification, referred to in sub-rules (i) and (ii) of this Rule 73 has been twice published in the Racing Calendar; Or after the expiration of fourteen days from the date of warning off notice whichever is earlier;
(v) If and so long as it is in the Forfeit List. This does not prevent the entry in a produce race of the produce of stallions or mares that are in the Forfeit List;
(vi) In any case in which it is by these Rules or by the conditions of the race declared to be disqualified;
(vii) If it has been declared disqualified by the Stewards and so long as such disqualification is in force.
74. No horse in which:-
(i) Any person who is the husband or wife of or who resides with or is employed by a person whose name for the time being appears in the list of disqualification's ; or
(ii) Any person who is the wife of or resides with or is employed by a Bookmaker or Bookmaker's clerk has an interest shall be entered or started for any race and any such horse if it shall start shall be disqualified for the race.
75. Any horse which has been the subject of fraudulent practice may at the discretion of the Stewards, be disqualified for such time and for such races as they shall determine.
76. No horse shall be disqualified for a race in respect of bonus payable under the conditions of the race to a disqualified person as breeder or nominator and in the event of such horse winning or being placed any such bonus shall be withheld and paid over to the owner.
77. If a horse which is not qualified according to the Rules be entered or run for any race, he shall be disqualified by the Stewards and the person or persons responsible shall be reported to the Stewards of the Club.
78. Where a horse has been the subject of an examination under the Rules and such examination has shown or establishes the presence in its tissues, body fluids or excreta of any quantity of any substance, which is either a prohibited substance, or a substance, the origin of which cannot be traced to normal and ordinary feeding, the affect/efficacy of the prohibited substance on the performance of the horse being irrelevant, the horse shall be disqualified for the race in question and may at the discretion of the Stewards, be disqualified for such time and for such races as they shall determine.
ENTRY; DEATH OF OWNER OR NOMINATOR.
79. A horse is not qualified to run for a race unless he has been duly entered for the same. Every horse must be Classified and Registered before entry. Except with the written permission of the Stewards of the Club which may be given on their behalf by the Secretary of the Club, no horse shall be qualified to run unless trained by a licenced trainer.
80. All nominations or entries shall be subject to the approval of the Stewards of the Club who may decline to receive and at any time after having received reject any such nominations or entries. If any nomination or entry shall be rejected, the fee paid in respect thereof shall be refunded.
81. The list of entries shall be closed at the time appointed and no entry shall be admitted on any ground after that time except in the event of a horse being transferred from one class to another or qualifies subsequently.
(a) In such a case a final entry will be accepted at first entry rates if the transfer and entry are made before the final entries close or, where forfeits are payable, before the penultimate forfeit falls due provided that the transfer was made before the final entries closed.
(b) In all cases the horse must not have been eligible for entry before the transfer took place. If no hour is fixed for closing, the list shall not be closed till midnight.
(N.B. In this rule, Class does not refer to the nationality of the horse).
82. An entry may, before the time fixed for closing the list, be altered or withdrawn.
83. An entry shall be made in writing signed by the owner of the horse or his authorised agent or nominator. An entry by Fax/E-mail/any form of electronic intimation shall be equally binding but must be confirmed in writing forthwith. If the Stewards consider that there has been any unnecessary delay, they may impose a fine and if entry is not confirmed in writing before the time fixed for declaration to start, the owner shall be fined such amount as may be fixed from time to time by the Stewards of the Club.
84. Entrance money must, (if so required) to be paid at the time of entry.
85. An owner or his authorised agent entering any horse in a race for which he is not qualified to start by the conditions of that race shall be liable to fine not exceeding such amount as may be fixed from time to time by the Stewards of the Club.
86. The entry shall state the name of the owner, and if there be more than one owner, of all the owners or, if the owners desire it, the entry may be made with the permission of the Stewards of the Club in the name of one of the owners registered in a partnership in accordance with the Rules, the registered name of the horse and its colour, class and sex shall also be stated.
87. No alteration or addition shall be made in any entry after the time fixed for closing except as herein provided. In the event of any error or omission being found in any entry, such error or omission may, if accidental or inadvertent, be corrected or supplied up to the time of weighing out, on payment of fine, fixed by the Stewards of the Club from time to time, for each entry provided that the identity of the horse is satisfactorily proved.
88. If the above correction be not made or the horse struck out, within seven days after the error has been officially brought to the notice of the owner or his agent, or if any horse runs without the prescribed correction having been made, the Stewards or the Stewards of the Club, may impose fines upon or otherwise deal with, punish or fine any person responsible for such errors.
89. A subscriber to a race may transfer the right of entry under his subscription to any other person, but subscriptions when no entry has been made under them, become void on the death of the subscriber.
90(a) No entry will be received for any race, except upon the condition that all disputes, claims and objections arising out of such entry or race shall be decided in accordance with the provisions of these rules and that such decision shall be final.
90(b) A declaration to strike a horse out of a race after the entries for the race have closed, cannot be withdrawn except where the decision to postpone a race has been taken, whether before or after the declaration to start, pursuant to Rule 30, 34 or Rule 41 (g) of the Rules. In the event of such postponement, the entries in respect of such postponed race shall revert to the position obtaining immediately after the declaration of the penultimate forfeit for that race and the Stewards or as the case may be the Stewards of the Club shall appoint a new time and date for the Final Forfeit and Declaration in respect of the race.
91. The notification of the death of a horse shall be equivalent to a declaration of forfeit.
DEATH OF OWNER OR NOMINATOR :
92. If a horse be entered or nominated for a race and the owner or person who entered or nominated the horse shall die after such entry or nomination and before the race, such entry or nomination shall not become void but the representative of the person so dying, or the person becoming entitled to the horse upon such death or any purchaser of the horse from either of them shall within such time as the Stewards may allow, register with the Secretary of the Club the fact of such change of ownership and a written request that the entry or nomination shall stand. Upon any such request being granted, the said representative or person so becoming entitled, or the said purchaser, shall become entitled to the same rights and be subject to the same liabilities as the person who made such entry or nominations would, but for his death, have been so entitled and subject.
93. If either party to a match shall die, the match stands cancelled.
SALE WITH ENGAGEMENTS.
94. In the absence of any agreement to the contrary, a horse shall be taken to be sold with it's engagements.
Notice of any change in ownership of a horse shall be given in writing to the Secretary of the Club within fourteen days after such change is effected, and before the horse starts in any race, and when the change of ownership occurs by way of sale of a horse which at the time of such sale is subject to a contingency, notice of such change shall forthwith be given by the seller to any person entitled to claim any benefit under such contingency. Provided that where any such change takes place during the currency of any race meeting or within the period of ninety-six hours immediately preceding the commencement of such Race Meeting, such notice may be given to the Secretary of the Club conducting such Meeting for transmission to the Secretary of the Club and when so given shall operate as notice to the Secretary of the Club, but shall be effective only for such Race Meeting.
95. No transfer of a horses engagements shall be permitted if, before it is lodged with the Secretary any of the owners have already been disqualified or any of the owners thereof have rendered themselves liable to a charge which may entail their disqualification.
96 The Stewards may however notwithstanding the disqualification of the owner or any of the owners, thereof have rendered himself liable to a charge which may entail his disqualification, for special reasons in their discretion allow such transfer having regard to the circumstances under which the application was made.
97. When a horse is sold with engagements, or any part of them, the seller cannot strike the horse out of any such engagements and remains liable to the Stewards for any entry money or forfeits incurred prior to the sale. The purchaser shall be liable to the Stewards for all forfeits which fall due in respect of any horse subsequent to the purchase. An engagement in a private sweepstakes or Match cannot be transferred.
98. No sale of any horse registered under these rules will be registered until the sale has been confirmed both by the buyer and the seller or their Authorised Agents who have their authority to buy or sell. No change in ownership of any horse will be registered until such change is confirmed by all the persons interested in such change or their Authorised Agents and until all dues owed to the Club by the Purchasers and Sellers are paid. When a horse is sold by public auction at a recognised Race Meeting or at an auction sanctioned by the Stewards of the Club, the sale of such horse shall be registered by virtue of such auction sale provided that the auction sale has been advertised previous to the sale.